Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Project Linus - Reverse Mitered Block

My Stitch'n Club at Nationwide is starting blanket project to benefit Project Linus.  To help everyone get started, I wanted to find a couple simple patterns that could be easily used with any yarn and any gauge.  For the crocheters, it's the Corner Stripe Square by JudyK.  For the knitters, I wanted a mitered block pattern but most of the ones I was finding started with a large number of stitches for the cast on, then decrease to a point.  I wanted to work in the reverse direction to make it really simple to get the proper size.  While this is probably not an original idea, I have searched for this pattern and could not find it anywhere.  It is similar to this pattern by Ari Whitlow, but without the yarn-overs.

Enjoy!  I will add pictures soon!

Pattern
cast on 3

row 1: kfb, pm, kfb, k1
row 2: sl 1, k across
row 3: sl 1, k to 1 st before marker, kfb, sl m, kfb, k across

repeat rows 2 and 3 to desired size, ending on row 3, bind off

Notes
kfb - knit into the front and back of the stitch
pm - place marker
sl - slip
sl m - slip marker

2 comments:

Speattle said...

Thank you for the clear directions. I have some yarn that I want to make square blocks from, but was unsure how to get them really, really square, plus I didn't know how long the yarn will hold out.

Doing a reverse miter is the perfect solution!

Ellisen said...

Thank you, thank you. Would like to try these mitered squares.